Sunday, May 27, 2012

Pc Gone Bonkers!

western digital hard diskI had a hell of 2 weeks with my PC screwed up.It all started around a month ago when my pc started freezing.I knew it was not a software problem but should be a hardware one and must be either the hard-disk (1TB western digital) or my motherboard(DG35EC).I thought it was a problem of the hard-disk and hence starting backing my data. Finally on 13th May PC failed to boot into windows..As i had my exams round the corner thought of replacing the hard-disk later.I started working in Linux(Puppy Linux distro which is very light and uses minimum resources with good functionality which was suggested by my good friend Karthik Gopalan).Still i found the PC was freezing in Linux too but far less frequently.



transcend ramIt was then i started suspecting my GB ddr2 ram.I used a dos running software called ultimate boot CD to test my components.I then realized that it was not my hard-disk but the ram which was failing.After giving my Maths exam on 16th May went to buy a new ram.(Transcend GB ddr2) and thought this would be the end of all my problems but alas it was not to be.The pc continued to hang.Then i again started troubleshooting from my bios.This time i realized that my Quad core PC(Q8400 2.66ghz quad core processor) was the culprit.The core temperatures was soaring to the dangerous nineties.Checking on my mobile internet found that it was supposed to be 45! This time had my ADIC(analog and digital integrated circuits) exam coming up on 21st May so delayed bringing the required thermal paste essential for establishing contact between the core and the heat sink.
intel core 2 duo logoI finally brought the paste and applied it and said."Please god let this be the end of it".I checked the bios and praying tried to boot into windows and "IT STILL STUCK UP".Cursing both my bad luck and situation raked up every inch of my brain trying to figure out what may be the problem.Meanwhile i was reduced to using internet on my ancient mobile Nokia 2690 which was frankly as good as no internet.So with no internet to diagonize the problem i was really in a tizzy.Finally thought of checking my Chipset and found out that too was heating up.I just prayed that it should not be my chipset else i would have had to replace the entire board that too after working so hard on it.So called a technician finally to check on the problem.With just one look said that it was a problem of the motherboard capacitors and will have to replace them.He said it happens with all motherboards at some point of time which depends on the ageing of the board,voltage fluctuations and pc usage.So gave it for repair on 24th May and finally today afternoon got my Motherboard back fit as a fiddle.
intel g 35 motherboardc=
I tell you it really some problem in which really had me at the end of my tether.I am writing this article so that my experience helps all those who may face the same problem and aid them in their quest to get their pc right within a short span of time.

1 comment:

  1. I love Puppy Linux! 24th April? Isn't it 24th May dear?? I guess ur remembering ur Birthday a lot!! :-D

    ReplyDelete