Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Cycle of Thinking


My day was going so well...almost. Some astray negative thought cropped up my mind and I started brooding on that.Why did the person so this ? Is there a solution to this ? Why can't this be done ? questions came up and my entire focus shifted from my work to this one damn negative thought. This thought , regarding something I care about led me down the memory lane and my work , my sound mind and my good mood all went down the drain. That entire day was wasted by a single Negative thought !


Does this sound familiar ?


I believe our thoughts define whom we are and are important but there should be an upper limit to thinking.Negative thoughts however promote what I call now " Cycle of Thinking ".
What is this cycle of thinking ?

First step to it is the Trigger which starts the cycle. Then comes Fuel in form of  bad memories , experiences and it leads to the next step which is Questions mostly the most common one : Why. These questions then get our emotions up leading to another trigger and cycle of thinking continues.


Now a question : Is this bad ?


Thinking  promotes reasoning , defines character and derives solutions .Thinking about negative thoughts is good but it should stop persisting after a while when we determine that a viable coping mechanism is found out..if not then that thinking leads us to brooding. One thing leads to another and we leave what we are doing and we become lost in sea of thoughts. Why what how questions occupy our mind and good / bad past memories flood our senses. This affects our present and we screw up whatever we are doing. Our focus is affected , we become emotional , our reactions become defined by our emotions and everything is a perfect catalyst to turn a pretty good day into a bad one.


So ? The solution ? 


There are no well defined methods to solve this conundrum but the Goal is crystal clear : Break the cycle of thinking and come into the  present. 
First step is Realization that we are in this cycle and it has to stop. Second has to be a rescue ladder which distracts our mind and drags us back to the present. It may be in form on good company , good thoughts and actions which take us away. Third has to be a Lock on the gate to this cycle of thoughts. 
Well to come to this conclusion also I had to go through the cycle of thinking and it's time for my rescue ladder. Till the next time folks !!!


- Tejas Deshpande

P.S : This post is dedicated to my very awesome sister Vibhuti who served as an inspiration for this article

No comments:

Post a Comment