Friday, February 6, 2015

Sympathy , Empathy & Compassion

People often confuse themselves with Sympathy,Empathy and Compassion. All the three words have different meanings and convey different expressions.Let me prove my point with a simple example :

I see a young boy disappointed and looking sad because he was not able to pay his college fee on date as it was not arranged yet. Seeing this look on his face following feelings washed over me.

Sympathy : I know there are too many students like him and I feel bad for them. 

This is sympathy where you see something going wrong and feel bad for that person for being in that situation.


Empathy :Incident took me years back in memories and I felt pain.

This is empathy where you associate with the person with yourself because you have been through a similar situation and you can actually feel what the person is feeling. Here you see something wrong and can associate with it since something went wrong for you too at some previous point in the past.

Compassion : I went to him and had few words. We decided on a deal "I pay it today, you pay me later." I enjoyed the shine in his eyes.

Here you see something wrong and you do something to correct it. 

Thus all three words are related. We all go through these feelings every damn day. Sometimes all people want in life is a little support , a little hope that all is not lost. Always try to be that hope ! 


Hope
HOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment